Monday, February 16, 2009

Week One of Deployment Down!






Okay this is my first ever blog. It's the beginning of our second deployment and I thought it would be a nice time to start keeping a family record. Derrick left for Iraq last monday, February 9th. It was a really cold, rainy morning, which I guess totally fit the mood! It was pretty sad to see him go, but he'll be home before we know it. Derrick will be surrounded by a great group of guys like Danny, Cody, Barrand, and Kyle. I know they will all look out for one another. His first week has been mostly just travelling, going to a few classes, and getting used to the time zone. He will be going to his permanent place of duty within the next few days, but we don't know what that will be like yet. My first week has actually been pretty awesome. Derrick has been able to call me almost everyday and he is safe and happy. I haven't had too much time to be sad and lonely because I've been busy with school and spending time with great friends. Our neighbors, the Norris family, have been living with me since the beginning of February and will be here until they leave for Okinawa, Japan on March 11th. It's been a full house with them and their three little kids bouncing off the walls! I had a psychology test this week, which I think went okay, and I got to help throw a surprise baby shower for my good friend Amy! The shower was a success, although I think she may have caught on to the surprise! :) The girls were (from top left) Caroline, Amber, Amy, Ali, Sara, Aubrianne, Melanie, me, and Heather Ann. We played some fun games, including "guess which melted candy bar is in the diaper!" It was pretty funny because the "soiled" diapers were fresh out of the microwave so they were still warm and realistic! We had a great time. It's been fun having girl time since the guys have been away. Unfortunately it won't last too long because my friends are all going to be gone during the deployment! Daisy, my really close friend who stuck by me through the first deployment, decided to go home to Michigan to be with her family for this deployment. She left on Wednesday morning. Amy will be heading home to Colorado at the end of this week to have her baby girl at home with her family. Melanie will be leaving for Okinawa March 11, and most of my other girl friends who will still be here will still have their husbands here. My plan is to just get absorbed in school and my church activities and responsibilities. Tomorrow is the first day that applications for the Vocational Nursing programs will be accepted. That means that I will be turning mine in first thing in the morning! If I get accepted, the three semester program starts in June and lasts for 50 weeks. That will definitely keep me busy while Derrick is away. I will find out in April if got accepted or not, so I would greatly appreciate your prayers and support until then! Well, that's about all the excitement for week one! If you would like to contact me or Derrick feel free to email us or send Derrick a package!

1 comment:

  1. nice blog, nice story, i like to read your article so much

    ReplyDelete

Penny for your thoughts?